Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Updates from the Land of Morning Calm. . .or something to that effect

This past weekend we went to a Mime Festival in my favorite part of Korea. This is the same area where we went for the Ice Fishing Festival in January and is by far one of the most beautiful on the peninsula. The festival was of an outdoor fringe festival with all sorts of performances. When I arrived home Sunday I had 5 voicemails from people at home concerned about North Korea. I am alive and well. As usual during such threats Korean children practice their drills in case of an attack and life goes on as normal. If you are a teacher, you should ask your kids to demonstrate. . .it is worth a laugh.

The teachers at CDI got a week off of work because so many of their teachers are suspected of having the Swine Flu. They were released earlier this week, but you can read the blog that one of the captives has been keeping here.

In March our school switched nams from Poly to Knox. Well a franchise of the Poly school opened literally across the street. I can look out of my classroom window and see their sign. Since many Korean mothers identify with branding, this includes brands of Hogwans, we have seen several students leave our school. For example the Pluto class, which once upon a time had 12, is down to 7 students. The Pluto and Jupiter classes actually retained more than most of the other Kindergarten classes. I miss certain students dearly, but I must admit that seven is much easier to handle when teaching math and science.

I think this is all I have for now. Tootles!

No comments: