Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Kindergarten on a Monday morning

I started teaching Kindergarten this week. My homeroom class is known as Pluto. I started laughing at myself for the internal realization that Pluto isn't even a planet (another faux pas we'll blame on Knox). Pluto is so far removed from our solar system that it is just another piece of rock floating around the sun. "Is this how they see my kids?!" was the defending question that ran through my head. As I looked into their little Korean eyes and corrected Sean to please remove his finger from his nostril, I explained to my little Plutos that we are different than the other Kindergarten classes because they are planets. Pluto is the exception because "our planet is considered a dwarf planet."

I was then greeted with the question from Wide Eyed Andy "Teacher. . .what is planet?"




This is Monday in Pluto.

No comments: